Re: Comments on DOM 2

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:02:35 -0500
To: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
>the DOM shall seek to support a proper treatment of PIs and the DTD in
>their order of appearance.

I agree. The DOM isn't "final" yet, and hasn't stopped seeking. Level 2 is
an incremental improvement, but there are many issues still to be addressed
in Level 3 and beyond.

The likely alternative, at this point in the design cycle, would be to
defer the question to Level 3 and have no factories for either Document and
DocumentType in Level 2. Given that choice, I'd rather go with what we
have, even if it's only a small improvement. It _will_ be helpful to
applications which want to generate DOMs as output; for most non-parser
code, the sequence of DocumentType to Document to content does make sense.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research