Re: Comments on DOM 2

From: Dieter Köhler <dieter.koehler@ppp.uni-bamberg.de>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 00:07:43 +0100
To: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
> As for PIs ... they're either built in to the application (e.g.
> ones marking an editor cursor) or levarage the NOTATION mechanism
> half-suggested for that purpose, and so must appear after the DTD.

As I wrote in an earlier post:  Creating customized external DTDs is a
legitimate use of PIs before the DTD.

Beside that:  The minimum requirement for a final DOM version is that
it offers a way so that each well formed XML document can be parsed
properly.  What you demand is a stricter XML version which forbids PIs
before DTDs.  As long as the current XML version defines the prolog as

[22] prolog ::= XMLDecl? Misc* (doctypedecl Misc*)?

and *not* as

[22] prolog ::= XMLDecl? (Comment | S)* (doctypedecl Misc*)?

the DOM shall seek to support a proper treatment of PIs and the DTD in
their order of appearance.

 Dieter Koehler, M. A. - dieter.koehler@ppp.uni-bamberg.de
 Mittlere Kaulberg 22, D-96049 Bamberg, +49(0)951-5190726
 "http://www.philo.de/Philosophie-Seiten/": 1000+ Philosophie-Links
 "http://www.philo.de/VirtualLibrary/14.de.htm": Deutsche Philo-Links
 "http://www.philo.de/xml/": Open XML - XML-Komponenten fuer Delphi