Re: Interesting thought

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:08:15 -0500
To: Pravin Goel <pgoel@peoplemoverinc.com>
cc: www-dom@w3.org
> If we could use DOM to uncomment javascript code, it could lead to high
> performance gains at the browser end.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "uncomment", and why it'd gain
you any performance.

As far as a DOM view of an HTML page is concerned, your example's all text
nodes. Removing the /**/ is entirely a string-processing operation, at this
level.

You might want to take a look at the Bean Scripting Framework (BSF),
available on www.alphaWorks.ibm.com. That's intended to be a fairly general
approach to invoking scripts on demand, in any of a variety of languages...
and javascript is one of those languages. Of course this requires that the
application recognize the text as a script and pass it to BSF for
evaluation.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research