RE: Older Sibling?

From: Thomas Ashe <Thomas.Ashe@Blackbaud.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:07:47 -0500
To: "'David Brownell'" <david-b@pacbell.net>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org
On Monday, February 28, 2000 5:50 PM, David Brownell
[mailto:david-b@pacbell.net]
> Thomas Ashe wrote:
> >
> > In looking through the DOM specs, I could not discern a way
> to do the
> > following:
> >
> > Given two nodes of a common parent, identify which node
> precedes the other
> > in the parent's ChildNodes nodelist.
> >
> > Is there such a creature in the current specs?
>
> You'd basically look at the nodelist yourself.  Takes a few lines
> of code -- would you seriously expect DOM to save you the work of
> writing such a simple subroutine?  If so, why?

Dave,

DOM allows me to access a childNode directly by using the item(index) method
off of the nodelist that is returned from childNodes, rather than walking
the nodelist.

So, I was expecting that if I had the reference to the childNode, it would
have an index property that I would be able to use for routines like this,
rather than having to examine the nodelist itself.

Am I really expecting too much? :-)

-Tom