Re: String output of XML documents

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:47:21 -0500
To: "Arnaud Dubesset" <arnaud@gradient.ie>
cc: www-dom@w3.org
> I supposed I could find in this interface a method  enabling to format
the
> XML tree content to a string value.

Sorry, but this is not yet standardized in the DOM APIs. DOM Level 3 is
planning to include a chapter on serialization and deserialization of DOMs,
which will address this.

Meanwhile, there are off-the-shelf implementations of this operation which
you could "steal" for use in your own program. IBM's XML4J parser, for
example, comes with an example program called DOMWrite which demonstrates
how to output XML syntax from a DOM. Since that uses only the public DOM
APIs, it should work with any DOM.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research