Re: Time in DOM 2 Events

John Cowan wrote:

> Patrick Schmitz wrote:
>
> > I cannot believe that I missed this in earlier reviews, but the Event
> > interface in  DOM 2 Events is missing a timestamp for the event.  Without
> > this, many common UI functions (like filtering small motions between click
> > down and click up) will be hard or impossible to do well. In addition, for
> > SMIL Boston to work with DOM Events, we would have to define a parallel set
> > of Event interfaces that add the time.  This would be a royal pain.
>
> An excellent point.
>
> I propose Java-compatible timestamps: the number of milliseconds since
> 1970-01-01T00:00:00 UTC, expressed as a 64-bit integer.

I applaud the sentiment ... ;-)

However, if there's an issue with that "start of epoch" date, it
may be OK to have it be unspecified ... since the motivation is
to detect relative times.  Individual hosting environments would
specify their start-of-epoch date.

A 64-bit millisecond timestamp seems the right model to me.  Apps
won't have to worry about it rolling over, yet the events (UI only!)
will be easily distinguished.

- Dave