Re: Creating Japanese Document in memory

From: Steve Ball <Steve.Ball@zveno.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 16:58:37 -0500
To: "H.Ozawa" <h-ozawa@hitachi-system.co.jp>
CC: www-dom@w3.org
"H.Ozawa" wrote:

> Most parsers could handle XML document files creatED externally.
> The problem comes when I try to create a XML document directly
> (ie. no external file) in memory. I'm creating XML documents dynamically
> from form entries and from database query results.

Tcl does a pretty good job of handling character encodings.

With TclDOM, documents in memory are stored as UTF-8 (whether
created from scratch in memory or parsed from XML).  In Tcl you
can serialize the document as a string.  If you are writing
the XML to a file you have complete control over the encoding
of the output stream, using standard Tcl channel commands
(Tcl uses "channels" rather than "file descriptors" to account
for platform differences).

Hope that helps,
Steve Ball

--
Steve Ball            |   Swish XML Editor    | Training & Seminars
Zveno Pty Ltd         |   Web Tcl Complete    |      XML XSL