Creating Japanese Document in memory

From: H.Ozawa <h-ozawa@hitachi-system.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 10:40:43 +0900
To: www-dom@w3.org
Hi all,
I'm currently having great difficulty creating Japanese XML document in
memory.
Problem arises because most parsers do not treat 'encoding' attribute as
part of the <?xml?>.
As a concrete example:
1. MS' s parser
    I can't loadXML document containing Japanese tag names. I'm also
unable to specify encoding in the document
    because the document isn't loaded yet.
2. Oracle's parser
    After createDocument(), I can't immediately issue setEncoding()
method. I have to issue the method after creating
    a dummy node. Encoding is necessary to load Japanese XML documents
but encoding can not be specified on a null
    document.

It would be nice if all attributes of processing instructions are
REQUIRED to be treated as part of a PI node itself.
Thus, to change document encoding, I would only have to change
setEncoding() method parameter instead of adding new procedures.

H.Ozawa
h-ozawa@hitachi-system.co.jp