Keydoard handling - who has the focus?

From: <Boris.Motik@trilogy.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:08:17 -0500
To: www-dom@w3.org
In DOM L2 only INPUT elements can have focus. They have the focus() method
which makes them receive input. Although this is not part of the spec yet,
I assume that those elements will fire onKeyClick events or something
similar.

What I don't understand is how will DOM L3 handle situation when no INPUT
element has focus.

Note that this might be very useful for implementing "manual" focus
navigation - one could write an app that draws DIVs and hand logical focus
from one to the other. However, the prerequisite is that I can somehow get
keyboard events.

IE 5.0 has an elegan solution - one can give focus to almost any DOM
element. For example, I can focus a DIV and it will fire keyboard events.
Although this is not DOM (yet), I was able to write a DOM-like wrapper for
keyboard events.

Will DOM L3 try to address this issue any time soon?

Sincerely yours

     Boris Motik