Re: XML, DOM and "ignorable" whitespace

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 12:28:43 -0400
To: DOM <www-dom@w3.org>
>The long and the short is that this is a tough problem but it is also
>disappointing from a basic developer point of view none the less.

"We're making mistakes as fast as we can..."

As I said: It's on the list of issues for DOM Level 3. Level 2 considered
it but decided it couldn't be done properly without DTD support.

Early filtering of the tree ("lazy initialization", as you called it) is
certainly possible. Maybe the Load/Save chapter of DOM Level 3 can look at
that side of the issue. If not, I expect custom solutions will continue to
exist on a DOM-builder-by-DOM-builder basis, though that wouldn't be as
portable.
Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research