Re: Two questions

From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@garshol.priv.no>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 04:20:19 -0400 (EDT)
To: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>

* Lars Marius Garshol

| 1. What is the result of
| document.createAttribute("a")._get_nodeValue()?
|
|   Is it None or ""?  As far as I can see neither of the level 1 and
|   level 2 specs answer this question.  None would be the most
|   reasonable answer, methinks, but some implementations think
|   otherwise.
| [...]
|   OpenXML:  ""

* Dieter Köhler

| Since Delphi does not treat wideStrings as ordinary objects I always
| use an empty string where the DOM prescribes a null pointer.  In my
| opinion DOM 2 should explicitly allow this by modifying §1.1.5.

This is a case of name collision. My Python -> Java DOM module only
handles Java DOM implementations, so the OpenXML I am talking about is
not your Delphi module, but this one:

In my XML tools list I've called your module XDOM, since you seem to
use that name just as often as OpenXML.

In any case, keshlam has already assured me off-list that "" is the
correct return value.

* Lars Marius Garshol

| 2. What is the result of calling
| element.removeAttribute("non-existent")?
|
|   The specs (1 and 2) seem to say that nothing should happen, and that
|   is my own interpretation.

* Dieter Köhler

| I agree.

So, apparently does the DOM WG, again according to keshlam.

| The problem probably arises in some implementation, because
| NamedNodeMap.removeNamedItem() will raise a NOT_FOUND_ERR exception,

Aha, I didn't think of that. Thank you for pointing that out.

--Lars M.