RE: adding addressing capabilities to the DOM

From: Aaron Skonnard <aarons@develop.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 18:56:41 -0600
To: "www-Dom" <www-dom@w3.org>

> > Further request, that xpointer be considered for one of the schemes
> > to answer a use case for a 'highlighted block' of content.
>
> Could you elaborate on that?  What specific DOM functionality would help
> support that use case?  What method(s) would you suggest?

I think maybe what he's suggesting is to extend the createRange function (or
add a new function to the Range API), which takes an XPointer *range*
expression. Although I haven't done much with the Range API, it seems like a
natural alernative (and simplication) to using the setStartXXX/setEndXXX
methods.

-aaron