RE: adding addressing capabilities to the DOM

This is a great idea. If the WG decides that an addressing API should become
part of the DOM, I agree that variable bindings should follow closely
behind. Maybe a setVariableBinding/removeVariableBinding pair for
establishing variable bindings for use in all expression languages. Surely
this can be done in a way that will work with XPath as well as other future
languages that support such a notion.

doc.setVariableBinding('foo', 123);
nl = node.getNodes("xpath:/descendant::invoice[child::price < $foo]");

-aaron