From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:31:42 -0400
To: Glenn Adams <gadams@vgi.com>
CC: www-dom@w3.org
Glenn Adams wrote:
> I believe I understand now: if valueType is CSS_INHERIT then no other
> information is available from that CSSValue instance (although, what would
> cssText be in this case? "inherit"?); in this case, one must use
> ViewCSS.getComputedStyle(...).getPropertyCSSValue(...) to obtain the actual
> (computed) value.
> If this is correct, then some additional clarifying language would suffice.

I'm trying to clarify the difference between 'specified', 'computed' and

- in the CSSOM, we use 'specified' to reference the values of the style
sheet. No computation at this level : 'what you get is what you write'.
  This is what you get in a CSSStyleDeclaration from a CSSRule.

- the CSS2 spec uses 'specified' for the first step of the style computation.
  These values are not exposed in the CSSOM.

CSSOM and CSS2 are using the same definition for 'computed'.
  This is what you get in a CSSStyleDeclaration from a ViewCSS.

  actual values are not exposed in the CSS OM.

According to these statements, I updated the description of the
CSSStyleDeclaration interface:

"The CSSStyleDeclaration interface represents a single CSS declaration
block. This interface may be used to determine the style properties currently
set in a block or to set style properties explicitly within the block.

While an implementation may not recognize all CSS properties within a CSS
declaration block, it is expected to provide access to all specified properties
in the style sheet through the CSSStyleDeclaration interface. Furthermore,
implementations that support a specific level of CSS should correctly handle
CSS shorthand properties for that level.  For a further discussion of shorthand
properties, see the CSS2Properties interface.

This interface is also used to provide a read-only access to the computed to
the computed values of an element. See also the ViewCSS interface.

Note: The CSS Object Model doesn't provide an access to the specified or actual
values of the CSS cascade."