Re: DOM Range comments

keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:

> >Why the Java binding is getIsCollapsed() ?

Consistency -- the attribute is named "isCollapsed", and there's
a consistent (and automated) mapping from attribute names to accessors.

> Interesting point.
>
> The standard Java (or, more accurately, Java Beans) design pattern is that
> getters for boolean properties have names which follow one of two patterns,
> either getWhatever() -- as for any other property -- or isWhatever().  If
> the attribute's name is isCollapsed, then getIsCollapsed() may be confusing
> but does follow Java's conventions.

Information and a minor correction.

The info:  the pattern was first associated with IDL ... CORBA's C binding
used it before Green, I mean Oak, I mean Java was much more than a dream.
And I know that the folk who did the JavaBeans (oneword[tm]) stuff knew
that convention quite well.

The minor correction:  attribute "X" may only map to "isX" if it's boolean,
as it is in this case.  That's a pure JavaBeans-ism, unused in DOM AFAIK.

>	 But it might be worth considering
> changing the property name from isCollapsed to simply collapsed. That would
> undo this minor cognative clash, and I don't think it would adversely
> impact comprehensibility of code.

Cognate of what?  :-)

That'd mean "getCollapsed" in most IDL bindings, which would make more
sense at least to me!

- Dave