Re: DOM L2 comments, various

From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:03:26 -0700
To: "Stephen R. Savitzky" <steve@rsv.ricoh.com>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org
"Stephen R. Savitzky" wrote:

> keshlam@us.ibm.com writes:
>
> > I do like the idea of explicitly saying that all ErrorCode values -- or at
> > least some sizable portion of that space -- are reserved to W3C. ...
>
> The same kind of thing goes for node types ...

Hmm, I seem to recall someone else making those comments elsewhere on this
list, recently ... ;-)

There's a general rule of thumb to use when writing specs.  Where there
is a namespace defined (integers for this or that, strings, etc) and the
spec assigns part of it for its own use, it has to say what to do with
the rest of that space.

So for example, if I wanted to define a feature string, what would I do?

I'll propose that the cases of "XML" and "HTML" be grandfathered, and
that all other DOM features begin with "DOM" like is done with event
names.  (Actually, "DOM" plus a separator -- "DOM.MutationEvents" is
more readable than having it all run together.)

- Dave