Re: Cut/Paste from one document to another

From: Stephen R. Savitzky <steve@rsv.ricoh.com>
Date: 31 Aug 1999 10:01:02 -0700
To: Daniel Glazman <Daniel.Glazman@der.edf.fr>
Cc: Espen Frimann Koren <efk@objsys.no>, www-dom@w3.org
Daniel Glazman <Daniel.Glazman@der.edf.fr> writes:

> Espen Frimann Koren wrote:
>
> > Yes, that is right. A document will only accept node that are created
> using ist > createX operations. This means that you have to clone the node
> you will cut > and paste, like this pseudo code:

> Thanks for that answer. I have to say that this is really a bad surprise.
> XML well-formed documents provide an easy way of fragment manipulation and
> encapsulation into other XML w-f documents but DOM1 does not allow that
> :-( In that case, DOM1 cannot be easily used out of the browser world,
> manipulating one document only at a time.
>
> > PS! Does someone know whether this has changed in DOM 2.0? I think I have
> > seen something in the new interfaces in the spec that has this effect
>
> I hope you are right !!!!

I don't recall seeing anything in DOM level 2 (not DOM 2.0) that changes
_anything_ in level 1.  It's all a bunch of additional interfaces that (in
my opinion) still aren't particularly useful outside the scripting
environment that the DOM is intended for.

The DOM is most emphatically NOT a general-purpose, easily-implemented,
least-common-denominator interface for SGML.  It was never intended to be
and, as far as I can tell, never will be.

--
Stephen R. Savitzky  <steve@rsv.ricoh.com>  <http://rsv.ricoh.com/~steve/>
Quote of the month:  Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.