RE: Comments and error report on DOM1

From: Stephen McConnell <mcconnell@osm.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:33:30 +0200
To: "Y. Komachi" <komachi@y-adagio.com>, <www-dom@w3.org>
Cc: <duerst@w3.org>

Y. Komachi wrote:
> Here I inform you of some comments/errors of DOM1.

> a) The "method" in DOM1 is described as "operation" in IDL. Those wordings
> should be harmonized with each other.

The word "operation" is a language independent keyword in IDL.  The word
"method" is a word that is used in some language (e.g. Java) that from an
IDL perspective is a language specific implementation of an operation.  As
such the DOM1 spec usage of the word "operation" is correct and should not
be changed.

> b) 1.2 Fundamental Interface / Node Interface / Attribute firstChild
> The sentence "If there is no such node, this returns null." should be
> "If there is no such node, this is null."

You are referring to the object reference that is returned from the
operation firstChild.  It is correct to say that the reference returned from
this operation is null, because languages enable the tests to determine if
the value return is a null value.  As such the existing wording seems
correct to me.

> The similar changes should be carried out also in the Attributes
> lastChild, previousSilbing, and nextSibling.

Please see prior comment.

Cheers, Steve.

Stephen J. McConnell, OSM sarl
Business Components for Electronic Commerce
http://www.osm.net
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net