Re: Questions about DOM 1.0

From: Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:55:19 +0200
To: Holger Flörke <hf@daisybytes.su.uunet.de>
CC: www-dom@w3.org
Holger Flörke wrote:

> Reading the DOM 1.0 recommendation leads to the follwing questions:
>
> - Interface NamedNodeMap, Method removeNamedItem
>   DOM says:
>     Return Value: The node removed from the map or NULL if no node with
> such a name exists.
>     Exceptions: NOT_FOUND_ERR: Raised if there is no node named 'name' in
> the map
>
>   If you throw an exception, why return something at all?

Exactly. This what the errata says. See
http://www.w3.org/DOM/updates/REC-DOM-Level-1-19981001-errata.html

> - Interface Node, Attribute nodeValue
>   DOM says:
>     Exceptions on setting: NO_MODIFICATION_ALLOWED_ERR: raised when the
> node is readonly.
>
>   Certain nodes (ie Document) does not have any nodeValue at all (NULL).
> What will happen if someone tries to set the nodeValue on such a node? What
> does "readonly" mean?

This stands for readonly nodes, such as entityref's children. I don't
think it's meant to cover the setting of nodeValue when this doesn't
make sense. So I guess you found a hole in the spec. I'll add it to the
issues list so that it is addressed by the DOM Working Group.

Thanks for your feedback.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors  -  W3C, DOM Activity Lead  -
http://www.w3.org/People/Arnaud