Questions on Attr, NamedNodeMap, and namespaces

From: Cathi Davey <cathi@digicool.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 09:41:07 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
Hello.  I'm new to both XML and DOM so any help is greatly appreciated.
These are probably very basic questions but I'm a bit confused.

1.  In the spec for the Core Level 1, under the Interface Attr, it says
"the Node attributes parentNode, previousSibling, and nextSibling have a
null value for Attr objects."   Does this mean that every attribute has
an attr object? If so, it's not a child or an attribute right?  The
value of the attribute is an attr object.

2.  NamedNodeMap - What do you mean by a map?

3.  How does dom handle namespaces?  How do you check for foo:bar?
(Given that foo is just shorthand for a longer id)

TIA,
Cathi