Re: DOM tree update

From: Steve Raiff <raiff@brainfarming.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 09:32:52 -0700
To: Benedicte.Desclefs@lip6.fr
CC: www-dom@w3.org
Although I'm just getting started with all of these W3C "standards", it
seems like a good architecture
would be to treat the programs initialization separate from the
re-reading of the dynamic changes to
the file.  Multiple files should probably be used to eliminate the
chance of missed changes or events.
With XSL (or more precisely XSLT), a second file could represent the
changes to original
file.  Without more detail of your requirements, one possible
architecture is:

    Initialization: file.xml is created
    Process A -> writes to modification.xslt
    Process B (initialization) -> reads file.xml, combines changes with
modification.xslt, creates internal
            DOM data structure and writes file.xml.  Also clears
modification.xslt to the point of where it read.
            This file would be a FIFO queue, obviously implementation
specific.
    Process A -> writes to modification.xslt
    Process B -> applies modification.xslt to internal DOM data
structure (when the file has been modified by Process
            A), clears modification.xslt to the point it used.

    Notes:
        XSLT, as I understand it, can make virtually any modifications
to an XML file.

        -When file.xml is updated
        -Choice of FIFO
        -use MVC pattern