DOM Event Model

From: Lippmann, Jens <LippmannJ@MICROMODELING.COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:12:56 -0500
To: "'www-dom@w3.org'" <www-dom@w3.org>
Hi,

I talked to Lauren at the XTech about the DOM event model (and I will read
the Working Draft before I ask more questions about it) However, there seems
to be no support for a publish-subscribe event notification planed.

The following scenario describes what I mean:

I have system of 2 components exchanging messages. The messages are XML
documents. A lot of times special processing in the receiver component
depends on the content and it would be very elegant to have a parser, which
has an interface to subscribe to a particular content (say the appearance of
an element name) with a notification callback function. (if tree contains
<foo> call FooHandle())

Certainly I could write my own little parser output handler, but it would be
convenient to have such functionality supported natively by the parser (APIs
are all about convenience after all)

Thanks for consideration

Jens