Re: "Empty" Text Nodes

From: Oliver Becker <obecker@informatik.hu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:06:47 +0100 (MET)
To: db@Eng.Sun.COM
Cc: www-dom@w3.org
Hi Dave,

> The "create a structure model from this XML" step is out of
> scope of DOM, so I'd say the spec doesn't address this.  Just
> like it can't address whether various artifacts of that process
> must show up (like ignorable whitespace, CDATA boundaries,
> EntityReference nodes, comments, and so forth).

The spec states (just after the TABLE example on page 11):

    One important property of DOM structure models is structural
    isomorphism: if any two Document Object Model implementations
    are used to create a representation of the same document, they
    will create the same structure model, with precisely the same
    objects and relationships.

If *any* two DOM implementations shall create the same structure model,
then this model must be well defined. So I think it's not out of scope.

Cheers,
Oliver

|  ob|do        Dipl.Inf. Oliver Becker                             |
|  --+--        E-Mail: obecker@informatik.hu-berlin.de             |
|  op|qo        WWW:    http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker |