xml for retrieving the values of HTML tags

From: Fiona Cameron <f.cameron@ulst.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:31:07 +0000
To: www-dom@w3.org

I have written a Java application which uses the network classes to
read in a user chosen  HTML document from the web into a String.  I
currently use alot of String manipulation methods to pull out data.

What I would like to do is use the XML DOM classes to do this more
easily - for instance, get the value of the <title> tag.  Presumably
this is what methods like getElementsByTagname do?  However, I
cannot work out from the XML documentation how to get to the point
where I can use this method - could anyone point me in the direction
of some help?

TIA

Fiona

Fiona Cameron
Computing Officer, Faculty of Informatics, University of Ulster
email: f.cameron@ulst.ac.uk  phone:  01232-366677