Re: document.createElement returned instance

From: Terje Norderhaug <terje@in-progress.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:26:26 -0800
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
At 1:38 PM 1/13/99, Christophe Ney wrote:
>Here is a basic question for which I don't find any answer in the specs:
>
>When calling document.createElement("P") should I expect to get
>an instance of Element, HTMLElement or HTMLParagraphElement ?

As DOM providdes interfaces NOT class definitions, you should expect to get
back an object that can be accessed using the HTMLParagraphElement
interface. What it is an instance of is not specified. The actual class of
the returned object is implementation dependent and doesn't have to match
with the names in DOM.

-- Terje <Terje@in-progress.com> | Media Design in*Progress

   Software for Mac Web Professionals at <http://www.in-progress.com>

   * C a s c a d e... a comprehensive Cascading Style Sheets editor
   * WebSlides generates presentations displayed with any browser
   * XPublish - for efficient website publishing with XML
   * Make your Web Site a Social Place with Interaction!