Re: RFC: White Space Handling In XML Parsing

At 11:58 1999 05 22 -0700, Claude Zervas wrote:
>I see Arkin's point.
>
>We use XML  for serializing/deserializing Java objects.  We currently
>use a parser that does not preserve 'formatting' whitespace. This makes

Fine, I guess, but then it's not a conforming XML parser (neither
validating nor well-formed).

>Regardless of whether whitespace handling by parsers in the spec or
>an RFC I think it behooves parser writers to provide both options
>(whitespace-preserving for editors etc., and non-whitespace-preserving).

I sure don't claim to know what market forces will behoove what behavior,
but XML parsers must pass on all whitespace.  Anyone adding a switch to
provide non-compliant behavior will have to make it clear that their
parser, when operating in this mode, is not an XML parser.

>It would be nice if the mechanism used to switch modes was a
>public standard though.

A public standard way to request non-compliant behavior from your
XML parser?  I can't help but think it's odd to try to develop an
IETF "standard" to contradict a W3C "standard."