RE: RFC: White Space Handling In XML Parsing

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:27:33 -0500
To: www-dom@w3.org
At 16:55 1999 05 20 -0400, Booth, David wrote:
>I think Larry makes a good case for the value of
>whitespace preservation in some applications.
>
>Perhaps the key question
>is how many people will be writing applications such
>as XML editors that should retain whitespace formatting,
>versus how many people will be writing other applications
>that simply need to consume XML, and don't care much
>about the whitespace formatting the input had.

No, for the DOM, that is *not* the key question.  Of
course there are more consuming (browser) applications
than producing (editor) applications--that is practically
tautological but irrelevant.

The DOM has already decided that editor applications are
key reference applications.  The DOM must allow editors
to support XML.  Spaces in XML are data and cannot be tossed.