DOM and document creation

From: <hassan.hussein@zurich.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:37:41 +0100
To: www-dom <www-dom@w3.org>

Hi DOMers,

I am quite new to both DOM and XML.  I would like to get clear of few issues.  I
am getting confused as to how the document creation and parsing is performed.  I
know that to parse a document you must already have  a document, then parse it,
then the parser will return a DOM tree and one can use that tree to manipulate
the document.

I wonder how the reverse is done - I mean - I have no document and want to
create one on the fly, do I need the parser only, the DOM only, or both.  Also
where does the SAX get in??

Please help me understand this.  A diagram would be a great example.

Thank you