:DOM's Interface UIEvent and UI Event types

From: mark novak <menovak@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:46:24 -0500
To: www-dom@w3.org
hi

I'm reading the draft DOM 2 spec., 19990304, and i'm trying to understand
some things, and i'm wondering if i'm thinking of problems or not. My questions
center around the idea of DOM being, as defined, a platform and language
neutral
interface.

For example, in UIEvent interface, there are attributes for screen location
and a specified group of modifier keys.  Does screen location imply a
visual platform with mouse?  Do the modifier keys define the PC platform, since
I did not see Apple's "command" key, or the common "meta" key in X Window.
Maybe the wording makes me think "specificity" when it is intended to
be more general?   Am I wrong in thinking that i'd like to see UIEvent
interface more generic, and then perhaps as an extension to DOM, inherit
and apply
specific platform attributes?

Likewise, my same line of thought would apply to almost all of the UI Events,
from click, dblclick, ... keydown, keyup.  Again, i'm thinking more along the
idea of a generic input and perhaps a generic output event model/syntax, that
each of these what I'd call "PC" ("PC" = pc windows, pc mac, pc X, etc..)
events could be inherited from, in some kind of platform specific DOM
extension(s).

I guess I don't see how the DOM stays platform neutral if it defines all
these what appear to be "PC" UI Events, and within this draft, very pc windows
leaning ?

thanks

mark