Re: Level 2 and disjoint selections

At 10:32 1998 12 28 -0800, Gabe Beged-Dov wrote:
>I have just posted some thoughts on XPointer support to the xlxp mailing
>list. One of the thoughts was on the need for disjoint selections (see
>section 3.7 of the XPtr specification "http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xptr#3.7").
>
>Section 4 of the DOM 2 specification discusses range selections which is one
>of the capabilities of XPointer. Disjoint selections in XPointer can be made
>up of both element and span components. Something to think about...

What is "the xlxp mailing list?"  I'm on the XML Link WG and IG, which
would seem to me to be the best place to post thoughts on XPointer, and
I don't remember seeing anything.

I haven't been following the DOM range discussion in great detail.
What do you mean by "range selections which is one of the capabilities
of XPointer?"  Where do you get the equation of range selections and
XPointer capabilities?  Does the DOM work on ranges define disjoint
selections as a single range?

I would oppose XPointer supporting disjoint selections.  I believe
XPointer should be basic addressing into XML documents, and things
such as disjoint selection could be built on top of basic addressing.
Put another way, I'd be fine with XLink allowing the specification
of disjoint selections, but it might take a couple XPointer specs
(remember, XLink would support multiple end points) to describe this.