Re: WD-DOM-Level-2-19981228

From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ifi.uio.no>
Date: 28 Dec 1998 15:59:00 +0100
To: www-dom@w3.org

* Arnaud Le Hors

| The first public draft of the DOM Level 2 Specification is now
| available at http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-DOM-Level-2-19981228

Like Michael Leventhal I would very much like to see support for DTD
information added to the DOM. (Although I realize that it may be
prudent to wait to see what comes out of the schema efforts, you have
not waited for XSL.) As it is there is no standard way to get this
information from parsers...

Another thing I would very much like to see is support for IDs.
Interface-wise, support for this shouldn't be hard. For example:

  Element getElementWithId(String id);
  void addElementWithId(String id, Element elem);
  void removeElementWithId(String id) throws NoSuchElement;
  boolean hasElementWithId(String id);

Support for XPointer is much harder without this stuff and it would be
very handy in any case. It can be added by subclassing and using
factories, but is unlikely to be possible in all DOM implementations.

--Lars M.