RE: [XML-SIG] RE: Equality tests on DOM nodes

From: John Day <jday@csihq.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:44:19 -0500 (EST)
To: "Paul Butkiewicz" <arabbit@earthlink.net>, "Andrew M. Kuchling" <akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us>, <www-dom@w3.org>
Cc: <xml-sig@python.org>
At 02:29 PM 12/11/98 -0500, Paul Butkiewicz wrote:
>OK, I hadn't really thought about that.  But can you come up with a way of
>ordering nodes that deserves to be defined as part of a global and timeless
>standard instead of being merely implementation specific?

The branch of mathematics called "Order Theory" (a subset of Discete Math)
is already a 'global and timeless standard'. I don't think we would want
to dictate any specific orders. That should be left to specific
implementors.

Example: Compare two documents: the Bible and the Koran.
Under the concept 'testaments of religious beliefs' they are virtually
identical. Under the concept '<somebody's personal beliefs>', the books
might be completely different. [Jon Bosak's 'tstmt.dtd' is a kind
of 'most general unifier' for the first concept above]

-jday