Re: [XML-SIG] Equality tests on DOM nodes

From: Fred L. Drake <fdrake@cnri.reston.va.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 12:20:07 -0500 (EST)
To: "Andrew M. Kuchling" <akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org, xml-sig@python.org

Andrew M. Kuchling writes:
 > 	* If the two nodes have identical type and value, should the
 > comparison be recursive, comparing the children of the nodes.  The ==
 > operator would then be comparing entire subtrees rooted at node1 and
 > node2.  I'm not certain if this is the best choice for the meaning of
 > ==, but see no clear reason to choose recursive vs. non-recursive ==.
 > Any suggestions?

  Since I'm the one who raised this with Andrew, I'll mention that my
first reaction was that it would be recursive.  I don't see any clear
indication that "shallow" equality has any real meaning.
  This corresponds to the basic notion of equality testing in Python.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191