Question on NodeList and client-server

From: Don Hamson <donh@xyvision.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:43:09 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-dom@w3.org>

interface NodeList
{
  	Node item(in unsigned long index);
  	readonly attribute unsigned long length;
};

    NodeLists are said to be live such that additions/deletions of children
will be reflected in the NodeList I retrieved prior to the
addition/deletion...  Without copying the children to a private object
instance, or locking children nodes; how do I know that the length is valid
when I attempt to iterate over the list?

    I don't see problems for a single client environment, but for
connectionless multi-client internet applications; seems a bit sticky.
Comments?  Thanks.

Don Hamson