RE: Relation between core DOM and HTML DOM

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:50:43 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
Fine, but were in the REC does it say 'if you mix core and HTML
elements all bets are off?'

I'm not sure whether it says this -- I have to admit I haven't really
looked at the HTML layer since my focus has been on XML --  but here are a
few thoughts.

WRONG_DOCUMENT_ERR says that you can only add nodes to the document whose
factory produced them... so if HTMLDocument is allowed to disable the
generic-node factories, that would be enough to ensure that you can't add
non-HTML content. Or perhaps those could be overridden to return an
HTML-appropriate subclass instead.

On the other hand... Old-style HTML actually allowed non-HTML tags to
appear in an HTML document, and the formatter treated unrecognized elements
as no-ops. If we want to continue to support that, do we have to allow
non-HTML Elements (at least) to appear in an HTMLDocument, or can they be
handled entirely within the HTML classes? And if we must allow a mix, how
unreasonable would it be to simply say "It isn't HTML, it doesn't
participate in any of the HTML-specific support" and leave it at that?

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research
Unless stated otherwise, all opinions are solely those of the author.