Re: More DOM grey areas ...

From: Don Park <donpark@quake.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 07:55:47 -0700
To: "'DOM list'" <www-dom@w3.org>
Following attributes in the HTML layer will likely be made read-only:

It is not clear what their value should be when they are not in the relevant
context (not in the tree or not inside appropriate ancestors).  Docuverse
DOM SDK uses -1 to represent the middle finger.  <g>

>5. Exactly which element types are returned by
>   HTMLFormElement.getElements()? All control
>   elements (eg. including <LABEL>, <FIELDSET>
>   etc. elements) or just the <INPUT>, <BUTTON>,
>   <TEXTAREA>, <ISINDEX> and <SELECT> elements.

I forget where I got the list from but Docuverse DOM SDK returns: button,
fieldset, input, isindex, label, legend, object, option, select, textarea.

>6. According to the HTML 4.0 spec, some elements have
>   a case-insensitive name attribute, whereas others
>   have a case-sensitive name attribute. Should
>   HTMLDocument.getElementsByName() and
>   HTMLCollection.getNamedItem() respect this
>   distinction?

It depends on the the collection.  Frankly, I missed this bit of 'finesse'
in the DOM SDK.

>I've also got one query on REC. Unlike all the other
>HTMLCollection attributes, HTMLTableRowElement.cells
>is not readonly ... is this a typo?

See above.

Don Park