Re: HTMLTableElement.insertRow()

From: Don Park <donpark@quake.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 16:25:58 -0700
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
>Agreed. Rephrasing the question, is it better to generalize the
>just-past-the-end behavior, or recognize it as a specific expression of
>"append"? The former has convenience benefits, the latter has
>application-design-error-detection benefits. Given the past decisions in
>favor of making the DOM help novice programmers, I lean toward "tell them
>they made a mistake" rather than "assume they knew what they were asking
>for."

You mean "keep reminding the users of their stupidity until they are forced
to choose between hiring a consultant and a psychiatrist?"  I am all for it
since I do consult on the side and got an endless supply of aha and hmm to
pass off as a shrink as well.  <g>

How do we let the user know that they made a mistake?  A shrug (return null)
or a kick in the groin (throw an exception)?  Neither is documented so it is
no longer a matter of interpretation.

Best,

Don Park
Docuverse