Re: DOM Level 1 Becomes a W3C Recommendation

msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk wrote:

> What's wrong with a documented precondition for the
> method? That's been deemed good enough in all the
> APIs I've ever seen. How much hand-holding do DOM
> users need?

DOM Level 1 is all *about* handholding.  That's why NodeLists
and NamedNodeMaps and HTMLCollections have to be live, because
the users of Level 1 aren't believed to be smart enough to
figure out when to refresh them.  The assumption is that amateurs
will be creating programs (typically in scripting languages)
that edit DOM documents, and we can't allow them to create
data structures which will cause other DOM methods to malfunction.

Would you rather have the overhead, while traversing the DOM, of
checking for loopiness?  Presumably not.