Core XML DOM suggestions

From: <JLemire@walldata.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 12:39:08 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-dom@w3.org
After reading this WD I don't see how to get an element's sub-elements
of a certain nodeName.  Although it did suffer from inconsistent return
type shortcomings, the IE4 model had a way that was both conceptually
straightforward and just so plain damned handy that I used it all the
time.  I would like to see the WD altered slightly to glean the best of
both.  My suggestion is to add a method to Node to use as an alternative
to the childNodes attribute that would also return a NodeList but
filtered on nodeName and nodeType:

	NodeList filteredChildNodes( in wstring              name,
                                                      in unsigned short
type    );

I also kind of like the cleanliness of IE5's separation of Node and
NodeList functionality where all iteration is on NodeList versus the
WD's Node having childNodes and first/last child and first/last sibling.

I also like their NodeList's moveTo and moveToNode

food for thought
John Lemire
Wall Data Incorporated