Re: Efficient read-only cloning?

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:02:35 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
> I don't think you can, really.

I agree. Hence my suggestion of clone-while-making-read-only, to avoid an
extra tree-walk.

Note that for XML design tools, which may edit the DTD, cloning the kids
isn't enough. To support those, EntityReference also has to be aware when
Entity has changed and refresh itself. Which brings up all the usual nasty
questions about exactly when Entity (and hence the application) actually
discovers this change, plus another set of challenges to deal with if/when
we add multitasking support.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research
Unless stated otherwise, all opinions are solely those of the author.