Re: Request: DocumentFactory

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:50:18 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
In order to call the proposed DocumentFactory, you would already have had
to obtain a Document from that implementation, which just pushes the
problem back one level... Or it would have to be a static method, which
would require hardcoding the classname (or using a class object, or
reflection).

So the proposal doesn't strike me as a major improvement over simply
asserting that there shall be a no-arguments constructor. The one real
advantage I see is that DOM implementations in languages which do not have
a standard constructor syntax (such as non-object-oriented languages) would
have this part of the API nailed down a bit more solidly.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research
Unless stated otherwise, all opinions are solely those of the author.