Re: Should Document.cloneNode() work in Level 1?

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:49:13 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
>...We just add Document.transferNode(Node node) as Ray suggested and have
the
>user use Node.cloneNode() with it if he is cloning over to a new document.

In cases where the "transfer" requires creating new objects (ie, when
copying content between implementations), this doubles the heap churn. I'd
suggest instead that there be a Move option as well as Copy (or rename Copy
and make this a boolean parameter), which could then recognize same-class
as a special case and optimize appropriately.
Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research
Unless stated otherwise, all opinions are solely those of the author.