Re: Should Document.cloneNode() work in Level 1?

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 18:05:14 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
So Document.createCopy() would become the "xeno-copy" routine we've
discussed in the past, which copies a DOM node "by content" rather than
cloning the actual object? Sounds like a good answer to me; whatever we
call it, that functionality is eventually going to be desired... and since
it has to act as a factory (since you're specifying target document),
making it one of Document's methods sounds reasonable.

Normal cloneNode() would continue to be defined on Node itself.

We'd still have to decide whether Document.cloneNode() should be
reinterpreted as "Create a new document and createCopy() of the old
document's contents" or simply be disabled.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research
Unless stated otherwise, all opinions are solely those of the author.