Re: The DOM Weasel

At 03:01 PM 9/8/98 -0400, keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:
>Just curious:  Is there a document somewhere that explains why this mascot
>was chosen?

I hope not ;~)

I'm not completely sure how serious this is.  The weasel is our unofficial
mascot because -- too many times to count -- discussions were concluded
with something like the sentence, "OK, we won't change the spec, but we'll
add weasel words to cover both sides [of whatever we'd been arguing about]".

Also, given all the constraints we operate under (it's gotta be cool enough
for C++/Java weenies but simple enough for script writers, break new ground
but not break MS or NS scripts, be platform and language independent but
not use cross-platform tools that are anathema to various W3C members,
understandable to HTML users but palatable to XML users, the names have to
be as short as possible and as clear as possible but not conflict with
anybody's proprietary APIs ...) any creature who is reputed to be able to
wriggle out of tight spaces gets our respect.