Attributes and ownerDocument

From: <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 15:25:30 +0100
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
According to PR-DOM-Level-1-19980818,

  DOM Attribute objects inherit the Node interface, but
  since they are not actually child nodes of the element
  they describe, the DOM does not consider them part of
  the document tree.

If it weren't for the fact that the immediately following sentence,

  Thus, the Node attributes parentNode, previousSibling,
  and nextSibling have a null value for Attribute objects.

doesn't mention ownerDocument I would have assumed that not being 'part
of the document tree' would imply that this attribute would be null too.

Can anyone reassure me that a null value would be conforming?

Cheers,

Miles