Re: PR-DOM-Level-1-19980818

From: Mike Champion <mcc@arbortext.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 23:51:26 -0400
To: keshlam@us.ibm.com, www-dom@w3.org
At 03:04 PM 8/26/98 -0400, keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:
>Document not having a factory for Notation (or Entity, or DocumentType): I
>read this as part of the "defer details of DTD handling until Level 2"
>decision. DocumentType in Level 1 is mostly a placeholder...

Right.  Since Notations are effectively read-only due to the fact that we
don't expose editing operations on the DTD information via the DOM API,
there's no reason for a Factory method.

BTW, the WG just agreed *not* to do much on defining an API for validation
or editing the "DTD" information until the schema situation is clarified;
we're concerned that hard work would be nullified by changes in this
rapidly evolving area.  I don't know what this means in terms of actual
time, but we won't tackle that until Range, Style, Events, and Query
interfaces are defined.

Mike Champion