Re: Comments on the use of exceptions...

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 15:45:20 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
Re exception on NamedNodeMap out of range: I think that's the same issue as
"why do the stream operations return the character -1 at end of file rather
than throwing an exception?" It boils down to a combination of aesthetics
and convenience of coding and traditional programming practice... I can
argue this one either way, but it's not obviously wrong as it stands.

Running out of memory: This is an implementation issue, not a DOM issue, I
think. I'd trust the language to figure out how to throw an appropriate
exception in this case, since it should already know how and (as you point
out) we can't be trusted to do so.
Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research
Unless stated otherwise, all opinions are solely those of the author.