Re: Anybody for a server-DOM spec?

From: Mike Champion <mcc@arbortext.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 18:02:37 -0400
To: Claude Zervas <czervas@Adobe.COM>, www-dom@w3.org
At 02:38 PM 8/14/98 -0700, Claude Zervas wrote:

>>Suggestions for which "features" of the DOM Core you consider "baggage"
>>would also be very welcome; they won't get removed from the overall spec,
>>but we may well define conforming "packages" of functionality, e.g., a
>>"server DOM", an "editor DOM", an "iterator package", etc.
>
>This would be fine as long as the "xxx DOM" package can selectively
>deprecate or at least not implement certain core DOM features such
>as Node.previous/nextSibling, etc. that hinder the use of that package
>and still be "conforming".

That's the idea, anyway; we would define a set of "packages" that can be
implemented individually on top of a very minimal "server" or "simplified"
core.  This will make interoperability more of a challenge, but if we
define the packages to meet the needs of coherent subsets of our users, it
should be manageable.