Re: Nodes outside of documents

From: Don Park <donpark@quake.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 16:25:54 -0700
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
>Totally clear; what it means is that DOM Level 1 in its present form is
>totally useless for anything but client-side scripting.  It has been made
>abundantly clear that client-side scripting is its only purpose, but it's
>very unfortunate nonetheless.

Well, that is the bad news.  The good news is that Level 1 will arrive
sooner than it would have if we tried to address everything in Level 1.
Frankly, I am as frustrated as you are and hope to do my best to make sure
all the shortcomings are met in Level 2 and 3.

>Since I'm implementing a document processor, not an ECMAscript interpretor,
>the present DOM is of little interest to me at this point.  What I'm going
>to do is continue implementing a version of the DOM API with all the
>interfaces but without the semantic restrictions, and hope that they get
>lifted in Level 2.

My understanding is that they will be either removed or loosened.

>In the mean time, there's no hope of getting a useable DOM library from a
>third party in the near future (not that I needed one), of interoperating
>with anyone else's DOM implementation, or of using a DOM implementation as
>portability vehicle.  Oh, well.

<hype>
Docuverse DOM Server will solve that problem and many more when it is
released and  I am sure there will be other DOM providers with similar
capabilities.
</hype>

Regards,

Don Park