Request: Element.getText()

From: Chris Hubick <maillist@chris.hubick.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:24:08 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-dom@w3.org

	I would like to make a request for a convenience method.  Could
the working group consider adding a getText() method to the Element
interface.  This returns a String containing the character data of the
element and all of it's children.  The MSXML object model classes do this,
and I found it extremely convenient.

ie:  If you have a DOM tree for the text "<P>This is an <EM>example</EM>
of what I mean</P>" calling Element.getText() on the "<P>" element would
return "This is an example of what I mean".

	Your consideration is appreciated!

p.s. Much thanks for cloning!

---
Chris Hubick